Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#43878 - 27/10/2001 01:16 "mystery product" competition
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Looks like the as yet unannounced mystery box (which we all assume to be a central music storage device something or other) is gonna have some stiff competition. Well... not that we even know what the SonicBlue product will do quite yet, but check out HP's go at it. Here's the press release and here's a few shots and write up at RatedPC.com.

And, from the RatedPC article, a short run down of features:
-Record music to CDs with a built in CD-writer;
-Transfer music to select MP3 players, handhelds and memory card readers;
-Use its built-in connectivity to download music and artist information and access streaming video through dial-up, DSL or cable connections;
-Easily store, manage and automatically catalog up to 750 CDs (approximately 9,000 tracks);
-View music selections and other product features through an easy-to-use on-screen TV display and simple remote control;
-Access RealNetworks’ RealPlayer and RealJukebox services; and
-Connect to stereo and TV components.

iiiiiinteresting. I just hope these hard drives are going to be upgradable... One of the only reasons i'm holding out on an 80GB drive for my "music computer" to consolidate all my mp3's is in the hopes that the SonicBlue product will have ample room and all the kick ass features i'd expect in a central music storage device... or whatever they are going to be called =]

#43879 - 27/10/2001 11:49 Re: [Re: loren]
BarryB
journeyman

Loc: Bellingham, WA (USA)
This product is to audio what Tivo/Replay TV is to video. Yet, I always thought of my empeg unit the same way.

I see this unit can present it's output on both a multi-line VFD screen as well as video output. Since empeg can be used as a home unit, I really wish my empeg had a video output on it. This would be useful not only in the home, but also to those with LCD video screens in their cars-- something that is becoming increasingly common these days.

Anyone have any idea how difficult it would be to modify the hardware in the empeg to add a video board? Having such a piece of hardware in the unit would allow the player software to display on the VFD while other Linux programs could be simultaneously displayed on a main screen in your car. This would make the empeg unit truly useful as an in-car PC.

Is this believable that someone could develop such a hardware hack? They managed to hack an ethernet port onto Tivo, so perhaps this is not so far fetched? Any thoughts from the empeg guys?